By Nda Hope Ndeh, In Buea
The Nigerian government has said no financial assistance will be offered to over 600 Nigerians leaving South Africa due to the prevalent xenophobic attacks on foreigners.
Abike Dabiri, Head of Commission for Nigerians in the diaspora, made the announcement recently in Abuja.
Mr. Dabiri told journalists that Nigeria still blames South Africa for the uncoordinated xenophobic attacks, and that the South African government should compensate its citezens.
The Nigerian Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, attested that Nigerians will start flying out on Wednesday, but only those who cannot cope with the situation in South Africa will be leaving.
South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, criticized the violence that erupted in Johannesburg this Sunday, killing two people and leading to the arrest of at least 16 others.
“We will not allow sporadic lawlessness and violence to disrupt the safety and livelihoods of millions of South Africans,” Mr. Ramaphosa said.
Johannesburg Police Chief, David Tembe told the media that Sunday’s attacks were pure criminality as some of the shops targeted by demonstrators were owned by South Africans.
The xenophobic attacks in South Africa started after lorry drivers protested against the employment of foreigners amidst mass unemployment witnessed by citizens.
Last week, ten people were killed, including two foreigners. Shops belonging to foreigners were attacked, followed by looting.
South African police said over 420 people were arrested during last weeks demonstrations.
Contact TWIF NEWS for ADVERTS and other information via:+237674667038