By Kesah Princely & Regis Che, In Buea
South West Governor, Bernard Okalia Bilai says thousands of persons travelling out of his region are not those fleeing an impending lockdown, but are rather holiday makers.
During a brief stopover at the Buea Mile 17 Moto Park on August 27 2019, the administrator said those leaving the region are students who are returning to their various destinations ahead of the 2019-2020 academic year due to kick off early next month.
Governor Okalia also used the occasion to warn media practitioners to avoid reporting on anti-government activities.
It is unclear why the regional chief sounded the warning to journalists, but speculations are that it is intended to reduce the coverage of government excesses in handling the ongoing Anglophone armed conflict.
Tuesday’s outing came nearly two days after the Governor of the North West region also announced on the state media, CRTV, that individuals leaving Bamenda are students who had spent their summer holiday in the region.
As TWIF NEWS had earlier reported, thousands of citizens are forcibly fleeing the restive Anglophone regions owing to fear of an Ambazonian imposed lockdown.
Bamenda and it’s environs have remained grounded as a result of a controversy in the imposed shotdown.
While a faction of the Ambazonian Interim Government, IG called for a three-week-long close of activities that was due to start on Monday August 26, a group of persons who identify themselves as Ground Zero Defense Council rejected the the IG lockdown order and programmed theirs from September 2-6 and 9-13. The IG imposed lockdown has been flagrantly disregarded, as inhabitants are going about their duties unrestrained.
Contact TWIF NEWS for ADVERTS and other information via: +237674667038.